How to identify polluted water
Based on the limits of hygienic parameters of drinking water quality for families, the health sector recommends the effects of each type of water source on people's health. In order to identify guaranteed or polluted water sources, people are based on different criteria, in which, sensually, people can easily see the polluted and polluted water sources as follows:
Colors of water: Normally, groundwater has just been pumped in, colorless, but when exposed to the air for some time, iron and manganese oxidation reactions will form iron hydroxide and precipitated manganese hydroxide. Add colored water. Highly colored water is the first sign of pollution, the presence of some metal ions (Fe, Mn), algae, peat and industrial wastes that make the water a color. Yellow for iron and manganese compounds.
Blue algae, organic compound. Highly colored water often causes sensory discomfort. Depending on the color of the water, the degree and cause of water pollution can be assessed, based on which an effective treatment method is selected.
Flavor, turbidity of water: The water source considered hygienic is clear, colorless, odorless, tasteless water. Therefore, the water has a strange taste causing an unpleasant sensation. The groundwater has a foul odor due to the air pockets in the ground being pumped up in the stream (the smell of mud) or due to the source of sewage, the decomposition of organic matter in the surrounding area seeping into the groundwater (odor). rotten eggs), may also be due to water with iron, manganese ions causing a fishy smell. Water turbidity index indicates the content of suspended substances in water (colloids, clay, algae, microorganisms .).
Cloudy water is uncomfortable for users; and often turbid water is often accompanied by microbial contamination. Other indicators of chemistry and microbiology such as pH, iron content, ammonium, arsenic, chromium, microorganisms (E. coli and Coliforms), . are not identifiable with the naked eye but must be passed. testing water samples at laboratories up to the standards of the Institute of Occupational Health and Environment, regional institutes of the Ministry of Health and preventive medicine centers.
Signs identify contaminated water
- Water with a fishy odor, yellow, reddish brown after being exposed to air is water contaminated with iron, alum: Dry tea or small banana tree pus can be used in water, if it turns purple, the water That has been contaminated with alum
- Water with a strong, unpleasant odor like bleach is contaminated with chlorine. Virtually all tap water uses a chlorinated and ozone sterilization option at the headwaters
- Stinking water makes users breathless, nausea, especially smells contaminated with phenol and chlorine.
- The water smells of stinking smell, like rotten egg smell is H2S contaminated water
- When boiled meat is red like unripe, the water may be contaminated with ammonium
- White water surface appears, cooking food difficult to ripen, causing plaque to tools, kitchen equipment, sanitary equipment, dry clothes after washing, whether it is contaminated with lime water, hard water or water contaminated with calcium magnesium
- Black residue water clings to the walls of the tank, sink, possibly contaminated with manganese.
Temporary treatment if domestic water is polluted
- Always boil water before use.
- Drink new water after 24 hours (because after 24 hours, cooled boiled water will be contaminated again).
- Ripple water then to settle and sun exposure for 1-2 days
- Use methods to filter water by activated carbon, rain spray form