Share this article:
There is no important work not to get close to Rang Dong Company area
Recently, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment identified that 15.1 - 27.2 kg of mercury was released into the environment after the Rang Dong Company fire.
Monitoring results show that many air samples; water samples, mud samples on To Lich river (1 km - 1.5 km away from Rang Dong company's sewerage) have mercury index in excess of Vietnamese standards. Notably, if based on WHO standards, some air samples in the Rang Dong Company campus have mercury index 10 - 30 times higher than the permitted level.
GS-TSKH Tran Van Sung, former Director of the Institute of Chemistry (Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology) said that the mercury content released outside as announced was worth warning to the surrounding people. Care should be taken in traveling, food and drink.
'In my opinion, if there is nothing necessary, people should not travel around Rang Dong Company area. If it is required to wear, it is advisable to wear specialized masks to prevent chemicals by disposable masks or made of ordinary cloth mainly to shield large dust but can not block mercury vapor in the air. Sung said, emphasizing, "Dizziness, headaches, and nausea are only signs of acute poisoning when the mercury is inhaled at the fire, and there is no clear manifestation for a long time. ".
According to Mr. Sung, if possible, people near the fire area can temporarily move to other places for a while.
Deputy Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Vo Tuan Nhan added, from the monitoring results after the incident, showing the scope and areas at risk of pollution, adversely affecting the health of people in the radius to 500m from the fence of Rang Dong Company warehouse.
Manifestations of mercury poisoning
Depending on the form of mercury, the amount of time, the intensity of exposure, and some physical conditions, poisoning varies from person to person. Signs of mercury poisoning appear days to weeks after exposure to the source.
People with mercury poisoning often have numbness and throbbing pain in their lips, fingers, and toes due to mercury poisoning called paresthesia.
Swallowing inorganic mercury causes acute poisoning; exposure to organic forms such as ingestion of mercury-containing fish often causes chronic poisoning; Inhaling mercury vapor causes acute severe lung disease.
People who exhibit mild mercury poisoning have the first symptoms of fever, chills, shortness of breath. Other symptoms include: stomatitis, drowsiness, convulsions, vomiting and enteritis. These symptoms usually subside within a week. However, in some cases, the condition worsens acute pulmonary edema, respiratory failure and death.
For young children often insomnia, forgetful, unstable psychology, poor appetite, sadness.